I am one of those rare folks that have spent their whole life in one church. I grew up in Justin, and graduated from Northwest High School. My parents are retired and live in Justin and my only brother and his wife live in Justin as well. We are one big happy family with deep roots in Justin and First Baptist Church.
I have two wonderful daughters, Christi Simmons, who lives in Ponder, Texas with her husband Shawn and 3 of my grandchildren, Hayden, Grace and Kate. Shawn is the Principal at Ponder High School and Christi teaches 2nd grade. My younger daughter, Kelli Escamilla, lives in Justin with her husband Juan and my other two grandchildren, Molly and Maggie. Juan is a Master Mechanic for BMW and Kelli teaches 5th grade at Justin Elementary.
I am a firm believer in childrens programing. I became a Christian at the age of 9 at G.A. Camp. I had been wrestling for a while about asking Jesus Christ into my heart because in my young mind, I had not committed murder, broken into a bank, etc., so how much of a life change did I really have to offer Him. It became apparent at G.A. Camp that even at the age of 9 my life was important to Jesus and that He was waiting for me to quit worrying about solving the problems of the world and turn my everyday, ordinary life over to Him. Our Pastor says, Its easier to train up a child than to transform an adult. I wholeheartedly agree. I was blessed to grow up in a church that placed importance on teaching children Gods truths, and continues to make children a priority today.
I became the Administrative Assistant at First Baptist in 1993. FBCJ has grown and evolved tremendously since then and I am incredibly grateful to be a part of it all. I love the diversity of my job and all the interaction I get with people. I feel this is a position God called me to fill and am blessed to be able to do it. I am so proud of the rich heritage of FBCJ and am more than excited about the future God has in store for us here in Justin!
I enjoy anything that involves my grandchildren, anything slathered in chocolate and Diet Sunkist. My life outside the church revolves mostly around school events and ballgames and I wouldnt have it any other way. Life is good!
- Book: Oh, the Places You'll Go, Dr. Seuss
- Food: Anything Mexican
- Snack Food: Chocolate
- Movies: Steel Magnolias
- TV Shows: All the CSIs, American Idol, American Pickers
- Musical Artists: Gaithers, Jennifer Nettles
- Actors: Robert Redford, Robert Downey, Jr.
- Actresses: Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts
- Time of Day: late eveningSports : baseball, softball
- Season: Winter
- Place in the World: Home
- Place to Pray: Driving down the road
- Recreational Activities/Hobbies: going to Mexican restaurants, grandkid's ballgames
- Scripture: "The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." Psalm 121:8
- Most People Dont Know This About Me: I played first base on the church team that won a 1st place trophy.
- People I'd like to Meet: Joseph, Barbara Bush, Mother Teresa, Matt Lauer
- Best Thing Someone Said to Me: Are you losing weight?
- One of the Things I Find Most Fascinating: People watching